How to Apply for a Summer or Winter Sea Cadet Training:
1. Look at your ID card, make sure the expiry date is after the date of the training you would like to attend. This is important because the Training Officer (TO) will not (even with all the correct paperwork in place) be able to register you for the training without an in-date ID card that remains valid through the end of the training.
2. The next step is to decide which of the trainings you would like to attend. There is no limit to the number of Summer or Winter Training courses you can attend.
New cadets must attend;
Recruit Training at Great Lakes, IL (for Sea Cadets)
Navy League Orientation at Fort Custer, MI (for League Cadets) before they can attend any other trainings.
Think of these trainings as the key that opens the door to all manner of exciting opportunities.
3. Click on the "Event Details' tab which will open to give you much more information regarding the training, some have links to a website or a Facebook group also.
4. For all trainings you will need to look carefully at the application requirements, some ask for additional information;
- a specialized medical examination (this is unusual and applies to the SEAL and Special Operations courses)
- an essay to support your application.
- an email to request to be considered (this is usual for cadets applying for a Staff Cadet position on a training).
Transportation to all National Trainings is the responsibility of parents/guardians.
When to Complete the Contact the Training Officer (TO) form?
When you have decided on a training and have discussed it with your parents to make sure that they support your request.
Sent the form, what happens next?
The Training Officer (TO) will 'cut orders' (create the paperwork) and send them back to you.
The NSCTNG001 consists of several pages.
Be sure to check and complete the forms carefully or you will waste time filling them out again and delay securing your place on the training. Once you have reviewed, completed and scanned the forms, you will send them back to the TO as a PDF file only.
The Training Officer will submit your request for orders through our online Sea Cadet database called "Magellan".
You do not have access to Magellan so this must be done by the Training Officer (TO).
*Remember that the training billet is not secure until you have completed the "Contact the Training Officer (TO)" form, received an email with the forms, reviewed, signed and returned the forms to the Training Officer, AND allowed time to upload them into Magellan.
Payment must also be submitted. Details on how to pay will be provided by the TO.
Until forms have been received and the payment sent and received the Training billet is not secured.